Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaining AP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfdiver

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
I've got a wireless network to install in a concrete building with alot of steel reinforced concrete walls. There will be less then 20 devices (PC's and 2 printers) on this segment of the network with 4 PC's on the 2nd floor. If I start from the DSL router and work my out from there.. can I "Link" or "Chain" Access Points (Linksys 802.11b) to create a sort of "backbone" down the hall and up the stairs? Or do i need something else?

It does depend on the type of wireless equipment you use, but essentially you should be able to put multiple access points on the same LAN throughout the building and allow the stations to connect to the closest one. Each access point would be connected to a hub or switch.

There is some design work associated in an installation like this, and particularly it is important to coordinate the channels used so things do not overlap incorrectly.

You should choose antenna size and location carefully to get you the best coverage possible.

Hope that helps!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Be aware that it will tend to slow down the network to be on an access point that is itself wireless to another access point. This should still be faster than DSL, but file shareing in the building will be noticeably slower. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I know that at least with intel wireless, you can set up a bridge. This might be possible with linsys as well. But, be aware, that the bridge connection with 802.11b is only 11 Mbps shared, so all machines share that 11Mbps connection. 802.11a... drool... is out as well, with a lot less interference, bhut shorter range... wire up the AP's with 100 mbps, and you should be fine:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back