Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CGI/Perl Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mx3com

Technical User
Oct 29, 2000
CA
Hi All,

I know very little with regards to CGI scripting and Perl and was wondering if someone has a simple password verification/login script that I could use for a web site I am working on.
If anyone could point me in the right directiopn or better yet, send me a good script it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff Aycan - Webmaster - MX-3.com
mx-3@home.com

I just finished adding login capabilities to a message board program that I wrote, and I can tell you it's no trivial task! For various reasons, one of which is the ugly logon dialog browsers pop up, we decided not to use the basic authentication standard, and my isp doesn't support mod-perl so I couldn't use that form of authentication. With those forms the browser automatically resends the authentication header with every request (but you can't logout). If you don't use those, you basically have to use cgi programs to serve every password protected page, and pass the session id or whatever you use for authentication with every link and call. Like I said, it's not a trivial task. It took me a week to get it working just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back