Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CGI and Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3lson

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have a webpage which I have a voting poll on it. I want to know how people have been able to vote more than once. Do they block cookies? Is CGI smart enough to know that that person has voted more than once?

Thanks
n3lson@geek.com

This depends on what your script does and how your site works.

If you require a password or other unique name to vote, then the script must capture not only the vote, but the unique name as well. Then, as votes are cast, the script should check the "votes database" for the unique name BEFORE adding the vote to the database.

The same holds true if you don't require a unique name but are capturing the voters name at time of voting. If the script doesn't check the "database" for existing names then you run the risk of multiple votes.

If you're doing any of the above there's really no sure method of stopping the multiple voting process.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back