Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cfselect to list once per unique entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tina2

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
US
Let me see if I can explain this...
I have a table that displays a listing of buyer limits in various countries. The countries are referenced by a country ID in the database.

I would like to add a function to filter by country by generating a select list from my query.

If I do soemthin like this...
<cfselect name=&quot;Filter&quot;>
<cfoutput>
<option value=&quot;#valuelist(qGetCount.CountryID)#&quot;>All</option>
</cfoutput>
<cfoutput query=&quot;qGetCount&quot;>
<option value=&quot;#qGetCount.CountryID#&quot;>#qGetCount.Country#</option>
</cfoutput>
</cfselect>
I get a country for every record in the query. Is there a way to have the select list display each country only once even though the query returns duplicates?

I could generate the select list manually, but it would be nice to list only the relevant countries...

Thanks in advance,
Kristine

It seems to me that you should change your query or build another to get the listing you want. Something like
&quot;SELECT distinct Country FROM table&quot;

You can do filtering using CF coding but it's much easier to do it in SQL.

Also, as a note, using cfoutputs in a cfselect is a strange way to proceed when you have attributes to do this. A better coding would be:

<cfselect name=&quot;Filter&quot; query=&quot;qGetCount&quot; value=&quot;CountryID&quot; display=&quot;Country&quot;>
<option value=&quot;#valuelist(qGetCount.CountryID#&quot;>All</option>
</cfselect>

--
Roman

Thanks for the tips on the attributes.

I guess I didn't explain the filtering very well.
The query returns a table with the complete listing.

The dropdown list is for the user to select how they would like to filter the view. i.e. if they have a listing of 75 limits, and they want to see how many they have in Argentina, they would filter by Argentina and so on.

If there are 25 records for Argentina I want the dropdown list to display that country only once...

I then create a varible according to the selection and reference that varible in my SQL statement.

I could run a separate query to get a list of countries, but seeing as there are 277 countries in the database, I would like to list only the ones that apply to the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back