Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF Strangeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarky78

Programmer
Oct 19, 2000
GB
We have got a client that administers their website through a admin section that we developed some two years ago now, there have been updates to this, but this section is pretty much unchanged. The client adds press releases on a regular basis, using these templates, they enter text in the same way i am here, with this forum. Occasionally they require a press release to be created with special formatting that we produce using HTML, recently these HTML formatted updates have been failing to be added to the database and we get a failed to insert error on the page.

When we add the same HTML formatted press release to our test server, that uses the same code, and the same database the press release is added.

The database is an access 97 database and the main field in the database for the release is a memo field. I've looked at the specs for an access database and the data being added is within the limits of the database fields.

The forms still work when a normal press release is added using the admin forms.

Does anyone have any idea why this is failing, currently i have got no debugging code available to provide any more detail as to the error.

Hi

I am just looking around for the same problem: my provider has updated to coldfusion MX - since then any memofield is not displayed on his server (using access 97), but on my testserver (access xp), the memofield displays.

any ideas?

Mark

The client decided to change application servers completly to get over this problem - moved to ASP which - which opened up a whole other can of worms. the database was also changed from Access to SQL Server.

I know that their are some issues with CF MX with the way that it connects to databases using ODBC. We had problems with the SQL Server connector, and changed it to the ODBC socket and that sorted the problem straight away.

I am not suggesting this will solve your problem but it is worth a try.

if that doesn't work then go to your CF admin and datasources. select the offending datasource and check the box next to CLOB, save the settings and try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back