Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF Source Code Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishman79

Programmer
Aug 11, 2000
US
I was looking at some custom coldfusion tags and noticed that their source code was protected by using some form of encryption. I would like to do the same.<br><br>I talked with a CF administrator who said that CF code can be encrypted so that the CF server knows what the code is, but viewers won't understand. (the jist: So the source code can't be ripped off by people you develop for etc...) That was all the info I got from him though.<br><br>Is there anyone who knows who to encrypt an ENTIRE CF template to protect the source code in it?<br><br>Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br>- Kurt

Thank you. I was able to successfully encrypt my document.

Just remember that this offers almost no security at all.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is a command line tool running around that does the exact opposite of cfencode.exe.<br><br>Since the key to the file must be embedded into the document itself so the server can read it....anyone can do the same with a little programming skills.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think someone even wrote a version for a TI calculator just to show how lame a system Allaire put together.

I try to encrypte application.cfm, but it won't work.
Can anyone tell me why????

Thanks

You'll need to be more specific about what happenned. Did the encryption program run or did it give you an error? Also, what version of CF are you using?

GJ

TC2000, you could try something like this:

<cfset PathToExe=&quot;c:\cfusion\bin\cfencode.exe&quot;>
<cfset InputFile=&quot;c:\test\unencrypted.cfm&quot;>
<cfset OutputFile=&quot;c:\test\encrypted.cfm&quot;>

<cfexecute
name=&quot;#PathToExe#&quot;
arguments=&quot;#InputFile# #OutputFile# /q /v 2 &quot;
timeout=&quot;60&quot;>
</cfexecute>

There are also two &quot;bulk&quot; encryptors...

And this script that will recursively copy/encrypt your entire site (and move all your images/html files over too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back