Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF Memory as RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexs

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
SG
Hi Techies,
Is there a way to use a CF Memory on a PCMCIA Card to act as RAM? My Laptop has limited slots so I intend to use my CF as additional memory.

Thanks,
Lexs

I believe that PCMCIA flash memory cards are designed to be used as portable solid state storage devices(in lieu of a hard drive, for example), rather than as random access memory.

Have you considered installing higher density memory modules to increase your overall physical RAM?

I have a maximum limit of 198MB only on an IBM Thinkpad 570.. even if its slow, would it be possible allocate it as a swap file?? would it be faster than my hddrive(6GB)??

unfortunately as you have stated yourself, you have maxed out the memory on that make model laptop. you might be able to get a larger hard drive for it.. 10-60 gig drives are common now but you cant put in any more memory than you already have installed. read the spec sheet at IBM by accessing the following link :
sorry to have rained on your parade but may be cheaper and easier just to buy a newr laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back