Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF 8 - Japanese Characters (shift_jis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSooJJ

Programmer
Feb 24, 2001
US
I have a client who use Coldfusion 5 and the pages are encoded with Shift_JIS character set. I'm testing the internal site with CF 8 right now but facing many problems. First the client does not want to convert both cfm pages and database to UTF-8 so I have to use existing setup. Since CF5 used ISO-8859-1 as default, I had to put <cfcontent type="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> into Application.cfm to read correctly from database and CFM pages. However I have to change the browser encoding to Shift_jis in order to display correct Japanese characters. If I use Shift_jis to cfcontent then it displays garbage.

Therefore here is my question.
1. Is there any way to make CF8 to behave like CF5 on character set?
2. Or how can I force browser encoding to Shift_jis from above? Is there way to make <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS"> to work in CF8?
3. Any other ideas you have that I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back