Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CEv10 Business Users & Setting Report Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin99

Technical User
Apr 8, 2004
US
CRv10 on CEv10
Data source: Encore/Impact 6.0 (ODBC)

When business users run (schedule) reports on CE, they are not presented with a "Parameters" dialog box asking them to make their choices (date range, invoice number, etc.).

I know the "Customize Your Options" pick list is there and the parameters for the report can be set there, but the users always bypass this & CE just lets them schedule the report without parameters and then it fails.

How can I make sure that each user is stopped and asked to enter their parameters prior to running their report?
After reading numerous threads, I think my solution may lie in allowing business users to "view" instead of "schedule". If I understand correctly, when presented with the option to view, they are confronted with a parameter requirement, (if the report requires them).

Am I getting warm? If so, how do I change their option from "schedule" to "view"?

If not, then how do I make sure they can't proceed until they set their parameters?

Thanks,

Robin

If the users refuse to set parameters then there isn't much you can do about it using the basic eportfolio without modifying the code.

One suggestion would be to set default values for parameters so that if they do NOT enter anything, it will return nothing, and then ALWAYS display what the user has requested as parameters in the report header.

If they continue to submit reports without parameters, and adequate training doesn't resolve, try creating a "pink slip" report ;)

-k

Thanks for the suggestion.
Setting defaults to pull a report with no detail and displaying the user's specified parameters in the header is a good idea as a standard practice anyway. I'll make sure I start doing that on all reports.

When you mentioned "Pink Slip" report, what did you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back