Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certs in general 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have an A+ cert and am going to take the N+ test soon. A+ was gravy and N+ seems to be gravy as well. People tell me these certs are nothing. They say that having nothing is the same as having these two. It seems you have to have a MCSE or a CCIE to be taken seriously. All I want is an entry-level job as a LAN support tech. Any HR people here? Which certs hold good weight?

Plus, I'm in college working towards a LAN tech certificate. It takes a full time student 1 1/2 years to get and completely consists of computer classes. I figured it would be less of a waste of my time than the Associates in computer science which is a 2 year degree in which you only take 2 computer classes and a bunch of useless classes-Psychology, Humanities, Art, etc. Does this thing hold any weight on a resume or was it just a waste of my time?

It seems that nothing is worth anything. Would I have been better off not even going to college or getting any certs?

What I plan to get after my N+ cert is an MCP in Win2k Server. I picked server because I'd learn about active directory and such while persuing it. Are MCPs nothing too? From what people tell me, you can have A+ and N+ and not even get the lowest entry level IT job like the help desk-no offense- does that hold any water?

I think those people are full of do. The A+ and N+ are very much sought after in the corporate IT world. You have to remember that certifications will get your resume looked at first over someone with no cert. BUT you have to have the experience to back it up. Without experience the cert means nothing to a lot of employers. MCP in W2K (any flavor) is a big a cert to have. anyone who says they mean nothing fall under one of two categories.
1) They have no certifications and see no need in them. Unfortunately a lot IT professionals feel this way (at least in my area)
2) They are certified but cannot find a good job for lack of experience or lack of good jobs.

Getting your college degree will benefit you tremendously. So go for it and as many certs as you can get.

But that's just my 2 cents. ;-) James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Certs have gotten a bad rap recently, partially due to the .com explosion (and subsequent implosion). The demand for technical talent drew scores of bricklayers, convenience store clerks, etc. into the field with the promise of making big bucks. These Certs are usually overstated by the people offering them as they are the ones who really make the money! Most IT Managers, including myself, would not consider hiring an individual such as this, as there is obviously much more to high tech than just attanding a 2-week course. Yes, it's difficult to get started, but you do need to start somewhere. Most of us have begun at the bottom. You may have to accept a position just to get in the door. Once you are there, it is up to you to show the company what you are capable of and be able to provide value to the organization. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Keep going in that direction. This field involves much more that just getting a piece of paper and then sitting back for the rest of your life. You need to continually improve your skills and learn new technologies, by Certs, self-study, experience, whatever. Good lock!

Basically, you need the experience to back the certification up, and without it, employers won't give a hoot how many certs you have...On the flip side, if you have a half ton of experience, but no certs, they still don't give you the time of day (speaking from bitter experience myself here). *sigh*

If you have some experience and/or talent, then get all the certificates you can grab, cos at the end of the day you WILL use them, even if it's only to get to the interview.

However, I still think there are only two ways into the computer industry - nepotism or blind luck.

echriston(PC Tech) I have heard the same thing you have and let me explain how I have proceeded to my position which involves Hardware repair(laptops, PC's and printers), laying network cabling and working with switches for hookups and network configurations for our PC's and laptops. I was in the field of Finance with an Economics degree, B.S. I wanted a change back in 96 so after researching for a year went back to a community college and took classes in programming and networking. As I was doing this I took a temp job low pay as a computer operator, after 6months it ended, unemployed for 2 months, took a job then at a help desk for 13months, was outsourced and ended with same position and another company. I then went from the help desk to second level support(present) and have been here 2yrs. Start from the bottom, does not require a life time in the IT field, focus on an area, do not try to attempt to do everything, be prepared to move or travel a distance if you have too for tempory work to get experience.
The jobs I was at did not require certs, but I am finishing the A+,working on the Net+, then Win2K as you are doing. This will help to get to the next level if I so desire. Also did you know that community colleges need part time teachers desperately which I have been doing to increase my resume plus helps you to learn better by trying to explain to others.
Hope this is helpful.
echriston@hotmail.com

The A+ is worth getting. In most interviews I went to, they were more impressed when I told them I was A+ cirtified than when I told them I had a Associate's. I do not hear much about the N+, I would suggest you get your first MCP or CNA instead. If at all possible, get your masters, it will make a difference on some interviews. There is no replacement for experience, you may have to sacrifice pay on your first job just to get into the field, but once you prove youe merits, they will pay you more or you will leave and be paid more.

I'm not entirely sure I am the proper one to give any kind of advice on anything even remotely connected to computers since I have been a computer addict since around mid 1973 when I was "forced" to take my first college level computer course.

In 1989 I finally got my Masters simply because I was taking diverse courses in areas that interested me. My wife told me that if I didn't get my degree after spending all that time and money she was going to kill me! ;-)

Then only reason I got my A+ certification is that, even with my prior education, it was a requirement for a job I applied for. Agreed, the A+ certification is not hard (if you know what you are doing!) but it gives you a good solid foundation in current technology. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) the OS portion is pure Microsoft. Fortunate because you only need learn a limited number of Operating Systems, most of which are very similar. Unfortunately, for the same reason.

The N+ certification is the same but aimed more at the network side. With the new curriculum for the A+ Certification a lot of basic networking is now taught at that level as well.

From the information you have supplied I would imagine that MCSE would be the next Certification you would want to go for. MCP is simply the first half of the MCSE course with certification required in only one of the three areas taught. MCSE requires six different certification tests to gain certification.

Following are some URLs which may help provide additional information:

Best of luck! :) Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

C. Vining
BECS, MSCS, A+

Hi,

I have worked with pc's for 3 years, two years in a helpdesk role and now as a web designer. I did a Business Studies degree at University and as such have no IT related qualifications.

I`d like to learn more about hardware (I can use a pc when it works, but when it breaks down I`m stumped), what is this A+ and is it worth me going for it?

Thanks for your help.

The A+ Certification by CompTIA is an industry recognized HARDWARE LEVEL certification. It tests a candidates knowledge of PC hardware, OS and Troubleshooting skills. It also tests for some Printer knowledge and Networking knowledge. If you do not know anything about hardware you will not pass the tests. There are 2 for the certification.
1) Hardware knowledge.
2)OS knowledge (IE.. Windows 98/2000)

I would suggest going out and purchasing an OLD pc to take apart and learn. Get some parts that are bad and learn what they do when they are bad.

The tests are easy if you know Computer Hardware.
If you don't you will struggle. I sent one of my techs (at my old job) to get certified. He knew PCs pretty well. He failed badly (less than 55% on the hardware.). Passing score is 65% on hardware and 65% on OSs. (Last I knew anyway, that was several years ago).

SO STUDY AND LEARN. James Collins
A+, MCP

I see butchrecon has answered millers question, so I will only add that I believe the current required score to pass is 70%.

Evidently they don't want to pass as many Techs as they used to! ;-) Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

C. Vining
BECS, MSCS, A+

Darn companies. They changed things on me. Thats it I quit! LOL LOL

70% now. BIG increase to a couple of years ago. Still not hard to pass as long as you know Hardware pretty well.

James Collins
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back