Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certification (looking for some advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrasa

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
CA
What certification in your opinion would be the most sought after certification. I have been in the computer industry for 9 years as a hardware tech.. Most of the network support I have given has been to small business networks up to 10 computers. I am wanting to specialize, thinking along the line of CCNA/CCNP. I do not have my MCSE or MCSA designation will that be an issue. I have contacted many training centers each has their own opinion. So any advise that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

My first advice would be to definately NOT use a training center. I made that mistake and ended up knowing more than my "instructors" who basically gave you a book and had you self-study. If you want to go the Cisco route, try and get a couple of routers off Ebay and a couple of books. Check out the Cisco certification forum. A website that has good study material is Thanks,

Matt Wray

As mattray says, I don't think you need to go to school to get knowledge of certifications. NOt all of them, but a lot of them teach by the book, and teachesr don't have a deep knowledge of the topic (most of them). This is only applicable if you think you can handle reading the books, and find anyways to practice if possible.
I never went to school to get certifications, but my experience helped at the time of the exam (and good books also), so it will to you also.
Also, wich certification you should go with, personally I would say, with the field I like more. CISCO usually gives more money, but is not as easy to find a job that pays it as a Microsoft one. Also for MCSE you have to take 7 exams, not for CCNP, despite they are not easy. I think is important to be happy with your self first, I would say go with the certification that goes with the field you like more. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back