Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certification - CompTIA v. LPI v. RH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster

Programmer
Aug 11, 2001
CA
Since it has been over a year since anyone posted about certification, I'd like to open a thread about what people think about the various cert services. I have final gotten Linux Certification added to our IT budget and am looking at the various options. I think I'm going to go for the LPI as they seem to be "best bang for the buck" RHCE is just too much money, and CompTIA looks to "simple".

Thoughts?

PA

Peter
---------------------------------------
There are 10 type of people in this world,
Those that understand binary and those that dont.

Well, IBM seems to support/provide the LPI cert, so I would say that may be a deciding factor.

RHE is RH specific, so it ties you basically down to RH. Cannot comment on Comptia's Linux+, but that is supposedly also vendor neutral.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

I've heard good things about RHCE. I know a couple of hiring managers with IT backgrounds and they say the best two Unix certs are Solaris and RHCE. Of course, it also depends on what you want to work on/with.

I'm certified on Solaris and the tests were a joke. I don't put a whole lot of credibility in any of the certifications. CCIE used to mean something, but even that's going downhill.

Personally I have to agree with Eric.

We've been in business for 16 years and the one person that had any certs was useless. Too often people send in resumes asking for exorbinent salaries because they have certs and when it comes down to actual practical skills they prove to be worth less then the paper the cert is printed on.

No offence to those with various certs, but real world experience is worth more to us then a piece of paper that M$ or any one else gives you. The only reason why we are looking at getting cert'd techs is our clients are now asking about certs and impossing the same BS they impose on hiring.

Personally I'd be more then happy to put one of my MS techs head to head with a recent cert grad and prove that hands on is as good if not better then class room cramming and laughable testing.

Thanks for the input people, but it looks like timing is going to make the deciding factor. The "RealWorld Linux" expo is going to be in town next month and They have big discounts on LPI cert exams. So it looks like were going to go the way of LPI certified.

Peter
---------------------------------------
There are 10 type of people in this world,
Those that understand binary and those that dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back