Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certificate issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
We are just beginning our upgrade to Exchange 2010. We've found there are issues with Outlook 2010 unless we install the proper certificates into Exchange. Our internal domain is ".int" and we've found we can't get a UCC certificate for that since .int is a valid TLD.

Renaming the domain will probably suck and it looks like we also have to scrap our test Exchange 2010 server since MS says rename won't work on that at all.

My question is: if we can't get a UCC cert now for .int, what happens in the future for certs for internal domains after ICANN allows ".anything?"

Just looking for insight to help us decide which direction to go today.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Or a second question would be since we can't get a public certificate for our internal domain, what are our options?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Internal domain names don't need to be in your certs. The most often used method is to use what's called split brain DNS. So, internally, you have a forward lookup zone for your EXTERNAL domain name. That way, when you want to go to say, mail.domain.com for your OWA page, it resolves to an internal IP address when inside the environment, and an outside IP when outside the environment.

I never include internal names in my certs.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn. Come say hi, look for a job, have some fun.
Pat Richard MVP

We already use split brain DNS - OWA is fine - it's Outlook 2010 with Exchange 2010 that has the problem.

As I understand it, with Exchange 2007 and 2010, Outlook itself uses the internal domain and needs a cert. Outlook 2010 at least.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back