Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

certificate errors sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
Hi all.

When I go to different internet sites I get the following:

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Recommended icon Click here to close this webpage.

Not recommended icon Continue to this website (not recommended).

More information
I was having problems with my PC and set the "Do not track" option and another one called "Active X." I may have set another option but am not sure.

Another page that comes up when I go to some site is blank with a circle and a \ in it like the "No smoking" signs, and that is all on the page. What does this error mean and what can I do about it?

Since I had a lot of problems with Malwarebytes, SpyBot and Google Chrome I uninstalled them. Now PC is much better. Just one other problem on boot up that refers to a .dll file that couldn't be found. I think that regedit search would find it listed but I don't want to fidget with the registry.

My Pc is x64 with 8GB ram, bought 7/13.

Any help you give me will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was having problems with my PC and set the "Do not track" option and another one called "Active X." I may have set another option but am not sure.
Your post is very incomplete. "having problems" - WHAT problems??? You shouldn't mess with things if you don't know what you're doing or have a specific purpose in mind. Reset IE options. Link
Better to use Chrome or Firefox anyway moving forward.
Is your time, time zone and date set correctly within windows?

Since I had a lot of problems with Malwarebytes, SpyBot and Google Chrome
Sounds more like you had malware which screwed up your computer rather than these programs actually being the problem which is doubtful. Not picking on your, just your logic as these programs are not problematic in nature.

$10 says the DLL message refers to malware than has been removed but a trace remains in the registry. Autoruns will help you find the entry and you can UNCHECK the line that contains that DLL. Use with caution.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

goombawaho thanks for your reply. I will try to find out how to do Autoruns to find the line with the lost .dll file.

My main concern is with going to different sites and getting the certificate errors. Just needed to know If I toggled some option on/off when I shouldn't have, and what it may be.

Again thanks. No other replies needed. I will search elsewhere.

My main concern is with going to different sites and getting the certificate errors.
I agree

Just needed to know If I toggled some option on/off when I shouldn't have, and what it may be.
Did you check the system date and time as suggested earlier? This is the most common cause of certificate errors on multiple sites. The suggestion to reset IE settings is a good one also.

The other suggestions goombawaho made (such as Autoruns) addressed the other problems you stated, but I would concentrate on fixing the certificate errors first.

I only have good suggestions!! Or so I think.

Time/Date Time/Date Time/Date Check both in BIOS and in Windows. Set BIOS first.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks all.

BTW I did set the clock's time/date. I will check the BIOS now.

And I may reset IE later. One thing at a time. Remember?

I won't need any more replies. Thanks again all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back