Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Central Management Console Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

leightur

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2008
GB
I have a report that monitors our FTP server for new file uploads.

Ideally I would like the report to be emailed out when a new event occurs for example a new file is uploaded.

I notice you can set infoview to mail the report if an event occurs, I have logged into the Central Management Console and added a new event but dont appear to configure the event.

Can this be achieved using events and if so how??

In order for a FileEvent to be used as the trigger for a scheduled report, you would need to REMOVE / REPLACE the file on the FTP, not just UPDATE the existing file.

The file name you are monitoring must be EXACT (eg. TRIGGER_FILE.TXT) - any appended date/time info will not work (eg. TRIGGER_FILE_200810080853.TXT).

Also, I don't know if the EventServer can montor an FTP-location - but if you can map a UNC-Path to that same location using the Credentials that the EventServer service runs under you should be OK.

Once you have the trigger working, then it is just a matter of setting up a Report Instance that is SCHEDULED with EVENTS based on how often you expect the TRIGGER to take place.

Always have the Report Instance Scheduled to start BEFORE the TRIGGER will be added to the monitored file-path.

Senior Business Intelligence Consultant
Toronto, Canada

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) | Crystal ( 7 -> 2008) design | WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services

Thanks for your response MJRBIM, unfortunately I would want it to monitor if a new file had been uploaded.

Is there a way to set off the trigger or send the email only if a formula = true or the report contains valid data?

Leigh

We use a windows .bat file to purge the folder of the old files at a regular schedule.

Then the EVENT server will treat the "updated" file as NEW.

I wiil not detect any update of an existing file.

Senior Business Intelligence Consultant
Toronto, Canada

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) | Crystal ( 7 -> 2008) design | WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back