Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CentOS hanging on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
Hi, this may or may not be a Linux issue but I'll put it out there. I've Googled a bit and found some possible resolutions for Linux but they haven't worked. This is on CentOS 5 on an Intel D201GLY2A motherboard.

Here's the issue...
During a reboot the OS hangs after displaying 'Restarting system' on the screen. Ctl-Alt-Del does nothing. Power off and on some times works, some times it doesn't. Most of the time I need to power off and wait 5mins before powering on to get it to boot.

Googling found this may be an issue with the BIOS and possibly to do with ACPI. I tried a few commands to alter how it does a reboot but no luck. I did a BIOS update too and still have the same problem. Once it boots it works perfectly fine, it's just during a restart. Also normal boot is ok, just reboot is bad.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

If you suspect ACPI you can try the noacpi kernel command-line option (usually in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, if you use grub as a boot loader) to see if that fixes it.

Otherwise the reboot=b, reboot=s or reboot=b,s options mentioned here may be worth a shot.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back