Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CentOS 7 and Putty

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I have something weird that's recently surfaced. I have some CentOS and RHEL servers that all of a sudden, before login, I'm seeing a weird character at the beginning of each line displayed. It's just in front of the pre-login "issue" stuff and he login prompt. As soon as I log in, everything is cool.

Since it seems to have started with multiple RHEL and CentOS systems at the exact same time, I'm thinking it's more of a Putty issue. I've checked and tried different character sets, and a couple other things found on the Interwebs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

That does sound like a terminal emulation issue. Questions:
Have you tried Putty from different machines? Are the results different?
Have you tried a different emulator other than Putty?
Is the environment variable TERM being set upon logging in? The reason I am asking is that the pre-login stuff uses a default $TERM and you may be setting it in in the login profiles to match the one used in your Putty?
And lastly, the silly obligatory one: did you change or update Putty prior to the troubles? What changed before this started?

I discovered the cause of the weird characters being displayed. It's apparently a PuTTY thing. It's displaying that character in front of each line that's coming from PuTTY and not the server I'm trying to reach. I'm doing an SSH connection and PuTTY is prompting me for my username and password, and also displaying a message about the Pre-authentication banner message from the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back