Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Center text by longest line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldoyle

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
IE
Does anyone know if there is a simple way to center blocks of text on the page by their longest line. Note I don't just want to centre each individual line, rather I'm looking to centre the whole block of text on each page so that the longest line on each page is centred and the others are flush left aligned with it. I suppose I could go through each page one by one and drag the text box margins so that the block appears centred, but I wonder if there might not be an easier, even automatic way of doing this.

All suggestions/help appreciated.

What I do is make an anchored (inline, embedded) text box where the text goes, then copy the text into the box and center the box on the line. Make sure the box is only as long as the longest line. You may have to adjust leading of the box and space above or below, to how you want it to look. Also, remember to take out any indents, tabs for the line with the embedded box.

If you have a lot of these, it may be impractical, but it does the job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back