Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CEMOS Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPMOM

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
I have a PENTIUM III 450MHZ COMPUTER WITH A SOYO 8.5 MB HARD DRIVE. I installed a new maxstor 140 gig byte and a cd rw disc. in addtion to existing cd. After finally figuring out the jumpers I was able to see my two hardrives, and two cd drives. However I wanted my old drive to be the slave and the new drive to be the master.
I tried and tried to make that happen, but couldn't figure it out. I went into the cemos setup, misunderstanding the procedure and did an out cemos setup saying save changes on shut down. When trying to get back in the computer I was unable to get past the comment Pentium III 450. I heard startup sounds but all I have is a blinking cursor with no keyboard capabilities. At the bottom of the screen is a statement "hit the delete key to enter startup" No keyboard function. Can what I did be undone? Do I need to take it to the doctor. Before I did this the old drive was functional. Help!!!!! Please!!!!

I'll guess you're using a USB keyboard. If so, you'll need to temporarily hook up a PS2 keyboard to get back into CMOS, and then enable USB keyboard support. Reset the CMOS to default settings, detect the hard drives, and then save and exit. It should all work from there.
If you are NOT using a USB keyboard, then dig up the manual for the motherboard, and find the jumper to "Clear CMOS Data". Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

If you can't find the manual or the jumper - take out the CMOS battery for 20 mins and put it back in again - make sure that the machine is totally disconnected from all power while you do this.

Kim Leece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back