Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cellular Calls to Option 81

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomiga1

Technical User
Apr 30, 2010
US
Cellular calls made to our 81C take a long time to connect (20 + secs??). Once destination picks up, there is a 5-6 sec lag during conversation.

This only happens if the call originates from the cellphone. If we call the cell phone there is no problem.

I want to eliminate our pbx or PRI circuits as culprit.

Thanks for any input!

How many digits are coming in from the Cell Carrier and how many do you expect? If you expect to see 7 or 10 digits but they are only sending 4 for example, the 20 seconds could be the timeout before the PBX does anything with it. Monitoring the D channel will show this. The odd ball thing is the 5 second lag, which would mean to me it could be an issue with the phone company to Cellular company, but that would be much harder to prove.

Thanks...we've narrowed it down a bit more to being specific to one cell carrier and one area code.
I'm not sure about number of digits....I dial 10 digits out of habit though it happens with 7-digit dialing as well.
I'm not familiar with monitoring over D-channel, but someone mentioned that to me also today.
The fact that it is specific to one carrier would lead me to believe though that it is on their end, but why would only affect traffic into our office?
I was thinking of disabling PRI to force calls over other circuits to see if problem persists.

Thanks again!

Whenever I have had long delay problems it's been related to one of the carriers in some kind of translation problem. It's usually limited to one area code like what you are seeing. I'd go ahead and open a ticket with them and have the to and from DN's and time so they can trace them. I think you only get a 48 hour window to track those down before the data goes stale....good luck. That can be a tough one

Thanks....according to the cell carrier it was a translation problem. Just surprised that it only occurred to calls coming into our site.
Also, do smaller cell providers piggyback their service on larger carriers?

I appreciate the input.....cheers!

yes sir - it's common practice to have agreements with other carriers. that's why it's necessary to have the to and from numbers and time of call. Even gets worse to track them when they have least cost routing involved......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back