Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Celluar Modem Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phart

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
US
Running Windows XP Pro. I have a I just got a cellular modem to connect while on the road. I am on a corporate domain and my account is a standard user. When the modem was installed under the administrator account it worked great. However when I am logged on with my account the connection software just sits there waiting for signal. I called my cell company and they had me set up a dial up connection (again this needed to be done from the administrator account. And again when the administrator is logged on it works great. And again when I logon I get a message that it can not find the modem. But when I look an the device manager it is there.

Does anyone know a work around for this or how to get the OS to know that the modem is installed?

Your Administrator may have to look at the File and Registry Access Permissions of your user, and at the locations that are needed to be accessed which require more than just "Read" Permissions and adjust the access accordingly?

If you are aware of the Administrator Password you may be able to make use of the "Run As" command via a right-click on any program that is running the connection software.

It might be as simple as some .ini, .cfg, or .log file in the Windows folder that requires a "Write" access for your user?

The Administrator could look in the Event Viewer for any errors or clues too.

Thanks for the response. I was able to get it working by creating a dialup connection that only allows me to use it and not anyone who logs on to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back