Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cell Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

neepshed

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2002
GB
I have a cell K41 that contains a cell reference e.g. $B$23. This is obtained by by using =ADDRESS(L37,L35).

How can I get the value of the contents of cell $B$23. Everytime I try and reference the value in a formula I get reference K41 and not the contents on $B$23.

Thanks.

Use funnction INDIRECT(cell)

If cell $B$23 contains the value 5 and cell $C$100 contains the reference "$B$23" then =INDIRECT($C$100) returns 5.

Regards
Stella

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Stella you are a God.

Thanks. I've spent about 3 hours trying to figure that out!

neepshed,

I'm glad Stella was able to help you sort it out. Please consider clicking the link at the bottom right corner of her post that says, "Thank StellaIndigo for this valuable post".

This serves two purposes:
[tab]- It is the local way of saying "thanks" (though your taking time to actually post and say "thanks" is, no doubt, very appreciated).
[tab]- It marks this thread as having been successfully answered, which can be helpful for future visitors looking for the same answer you were.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

neepshed

That should be goddess

Regards
Stella

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Hi neepshed:

Another way ...

Since the entry in cell K41 is obtained using the values from L37 and M37 as arguments to the ADDRESS function in cell K41, you can also get the value in cell B23 directly by using ...

=INDEX(A:IV,L37,M37)

I hope this helps.

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
Energy Efficient Building Network LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back