Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cell phone in - international call out

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorbackHog

Programmer
Oct 28, 2000
US
Hi,

I have the need to create a secure method for our upper management personnel to be able to call into our switch from a cell phone and then transfer themselves back out to certain international numbers using a speed dial or something like that. They want to be able to talk international without the high cost from the cell phone provider. Can I somehow only allow these transfers for a list of ANI numbers of the cell phones or something like that??

Give me your suggestions for accomplishing this.

Thanks.

My suggestion - DON'T. Can you say "toll fraud potential"?

However, if you must, then set up some x-port extensions, and give each a remote coverage path to the desired international number. You'll need one x-port extension for each international number.

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

Be careful! The service you are trying to create is commonly called "international callback".

International callback may be restricted or even illegal in some of the countries where your executives may be working.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

I'm not trying to set it up where they get called back. I simply want them and them only be able to dial in from their home,car or whereever else they happen to be while traveling and easily be able to access some international numbers using our rate plan instead of their cell phone international rate. That's why i'm wondering if i can capture the ani and have a vector set up to prompt for a speed dial code or something that would then dial only those few international numbers. It seems that way, no one else can sneak in without being one of those ANI numbers and even then only be allowed to dial to one of the pre-programmed international numbers. However, I do know I will have to have trunk-to-trunk transfers turned on I guess although can't I limit it to a particular COR? I'm sure there may be risks involved and that's why I'm asking so you guys can fill me in. I want it to be as secure as possible and as simple as possible due to the people who will be using this eg. CEO.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Why not use remote access with a barrier code? Thats what we do and it works great.

Basically, you set what is called 'Remote Access Extension' via change remote-access. Add an extension number in your DDI range, assign a barrier code (PIN basically). You can also give each remote access extension a COR, COS and an expiry date.

The user dials in to the remote access extension and he is then able to dial any number (as per the COR assigned) just as if he was on a real extension in the office.
You can also run reports on each remote access extension through your call accounting system if you have one.

Hope this helps.

RandyStevens,

another solution would be to use ec500 if you have it. it's more configurable and secure than remote access, and more feature-rich as well. also it does more good for reporting because all remote access calls will be reported as the same extension.

dwalin,

Thanks. We are just about to upgrade to the latest OS in about 2 weeks so we will have EC500 available to us. When you set up a cell phone with EC500, can the calls made be directed back through the switch? If so, that would be great. Sounds like I need to start researching EC500.

Randy

Axelman,

Thanks for the explanation of remote access. This certainly could be an option.

dwalin,

Thanks. We are just about to upgrade to the latest OS in about 2 weeks so we will have EC500 available to us. When you set up a cell phone with EC500, can the calls made be directed back through the switch? If so, that would be great. Sounds like I need to start researching EC500.

Randy

With EC500 you can set up a "Feature Name Extension" that will give the cell user dial tone off the first call appearance of their desk phone. This would allow them to dial wherever there desk phone is allowed to dial.

Sounds too good to be true. I'm not sure I understand how this could possibly work. Are you saying that my ceo can be out in his car somewhere and have dial tone off my switch?

Yes, you after you map your cell number to your desk number you set up a feature named extension for idle call appearance, let's it is 5555. From you cell phone you would then dial 123-5555, you would hear dial tone form the first call appearance of the desk set and then could dial.

You do need ISDN PRI for this to work.

See thread690-927260 for more details on Feature Name Extension.

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

Great, build it up then destroy my dream. :) I don't have PRI in my area.

RandyStevens,

ec500 does not require pri, in essence. in my opinion, it should work even with mfc signaling, provided that your telco can send you caller id.

We are getting incoming ANI now. Will that be sufficient?

RandyStevens,

should be, as far as i can imagine the way it works.

EC500 DOES require PRI Service. I could not make it work until we got our PRI up and running.

I have been told by another technician that he was unable to make it work without PRI. Sad day for me. Guess I'll have to use the remote access option and do without PRI until my CO gets into the 20th century. Then we'll only be one century behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back