Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

celeron processor upgrade (to p3?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaux

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
US
I've heard that all motherboards that hold celeron processors are also compatible with pentium 3 processors. Is this true? Or if only some motherboards are thus compatible, how do I tell if mine is?

Also, if my motherboard came with a 500 Mhz celeron processor, is there a limit to the speed of the processor I can upgrade to or can I upgrade to any speed of celeron (or pentium 3) processor?

One more thing: My other computer is a pentium 75 (no MMX). Can I upgrade to a pentium 166 MMX or can I only upgrade to non MMX processors?

You will ideally need to find out the exact model of the motherboards to enable this query to be answered.

I would go to the Intel web site and take a look at recommended motherboards for various processors. Also, your motherboard manufacturer should have similar info on what processors your board will work with, along with jumper settings.

---Chuck

Look for the make and model of the board, should be on it somewhere? go to the manufactures web site which will tell you what processors the board supports.
I dought that a Celeron board that currently has a 500 onboard will support a P3, but it should tell you what it does support. Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back