Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE8 Activex Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudermilk

Technical User
Oct 28, 2004
US
I am having fits trying to get the activex viewer to work consistently. For most reports it works fine, but I have a small handful that are causing problems--of course the most heavily used ones as Murphy would have it.

The issue I am having is the reports will not render correctly. Some pages are left incomplete & the affected pages change on each run. I am also seeing the navigation controls stop functioning correctly where the viewer will refuse to go to a page (forward, back & typing in a specific page number). Hitting refresh multiple times sometimes clears this, but only seemst move the pages that are broken. To top it all off, printing does not work at all.

Running the same reports in the activex viewer on my development machine and server console works perfectly. The only difference is they have the Crystal Report Designer loaded. Seeing that, I tried loading the offline viewer, but it did not help. I also tried hte hotfix which didn't help and finally ran a saved instance which also has the same problems.

Viewing through the Java plugin works better, but printing takes 30 seconds per page, which is causing complaints from the users.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

IF you're using CE 8, the 1st iteration of Crystal, I'm not surprised, it was a tad buggy.

CE8.5 had numerous patches, not sure if you can apply them to CE 8 though.

Your particular problems sound memory related.

-k

So the activex viewer is that big of a memory hog? I can view all reports through the java plugin (and am switching our defaults back to that, the noisy users will just have to deal with it for now).

It's looking more and more like I need to bite the bullet & get the $7k update to XI approved now that licensing is more sane again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back