Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE10 Licensing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugung

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2004
US
Hello,

I am having a weird issue. The CE10 installed on one of our Windows 2003 servers stops running if I change the domain suffix of the server. All CE services seems to start ok except the CMS service. If I remove the domain suffix, the CMS starts ok. My previous admin said it was a licensing issue.

Has anyone seen this type of problem?

Thanks.

The CMS embeds the fully qualified machine name into its system database. If you change this, the CMS can no longer find the machine. Changing the machine name or domain name after installation is a very bad idea!

If you must change thje domain name, you will need to perform a clean installation and migrate the old content to it.

Thank you so much for your reply.

How easy is it going to be to migrate to a different server? If I do a clean install, do I just run the import wizard on the new server? Will this bring everything I have running on my old server?

What I would like to do is to run a test. Set up a new environment from scratch and do the import. The old instance will still runs, right?

Thanks again.

Yes the old instance will carry on as long as the CMS is up and running.

The Import Wixard is the correct tool to migrate CE10 content from one environment to the other.

It is possible to do it manually, (copy the system database and the File Repository from the old to the new)but the import wizard is the best/safest/easiest way.

Thank you very much.

Currently I have everything running on one server. What I like to do is to use a separate dedicated SQL server to host its CE database. Will the import wizard migrate the database or do I have to copy the database manually?

If I choose to set up new CE on one box again, how do I handle the database side? In other words, do I let the setup create an empty database, then use the import wizard to migrate the database?

The import wizard will migrate the content and populate the NEW system database as part of the migration.

When you create the new CE10 environment, you will need to create a new SQL Server database prior to the installation and configure an ODBC DSN to point to it.Then, during the new CE10 installation you will point the new installation to this new ODBC DSN which will be used by the new CE10 installation.

Then, when you import the content from the old CE10 environment, this content will be written to the new system database by the Import Wizard. All reports will also be migrated from the old repository (disk folders and files) to the new repository.

Forgot one thing. How do I find the exact version of CE I am running? One of the previous posts said that SP2 needed to be applied for the import wizard to work properly. I believe there is SP6 available.

One of the tables shows that the BuildVersion is 10.0.0 and the SubSystemNumber is 3. Does this mean I have SP3?

Thanks.

Log on to the CCM under the Program Files, Crystal Enterprise program group and choose the Crystal Configuration Manager.

This will show you the current version and build numbers you are running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back