Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE Page Server stuck in "Stopping" status

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsinc

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
After running with no problems, periodically our Crystal Enterprise Page Server goes into a "Stopping" status, when viewed through Crystal Configuration Manager. When this happens, we can't start or stop the service, nor does enabling or disabling seem to help. The only recourse we have is to reboot the NT 2000 Server box that houses CE. Currently we have two Page Servers setup, so one service can die and we're still OK, but eventually that second one dies too and we're forced to reboot. Crystal Decisions has been of limited help with this issue. Are other users of CE experiencing similar problems? Does anybody have any suggestions?

I ran into this problem at my last client's site. At the time, Crystal Decisions didn't know what to make of it, but I've found some documentation since then. Basically, Crystal Decisions says that this typically occurs with large on-demand reports or on-demand reports based on long-running stored procedures.

Here's a link from the KB that shows the download FTP site for a patch:

We had exactly the same problem with the CE Page Server whereas it would not stop and get stuck in the stopping state. We were unable to reboot the system every time this happened, however found that we could add an additional Page Server, enable it and disable the problematic one. At one stage I think we had well over 10 Page Servers as the problem got worse and worse, sometime hanging 5 times a day! We had to reboot at one stage and thus removed all redundant Page Servers. Like yourself, we had very little repsonse from Crystal.

We only have 5 concurrent user licenses and found that the users were not logging out of the E Portfolio screen using the 'exit' button in the top right hand corner of the screen thus not releasing the license. They were clicking the x on the window instead. If you too only have limited licenses it's well worth monitoring them through the Crystal Management Console > Settings > Metrics Tab.

We have since educated the users to click on the 'Exit' button on the E Portfolio screen and (touch wood!) the problem has yet to return. This was 3 days ago and as I said earlier the Page Server could 'hang' up to five times a day.

If you have unlimited licenses as I understand is possible, then I apologise as this response does not apply to you.
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back