Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE 9 NT authentication group maintanence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute97

Vendor
Dec 30, 2003
US
I am curious if I am just doing something wrong hear and how others manage their groups. Using CE 9 I tried the AD plugin and it was a disaster. I had to reinstall to get Enterprise functioning again. As we needed to roll out I used NT auth.

Right now I have local groups on the server and went through are corporate user list and added people to the appropriate group. The problem is that the company is growing, people leave, etc and I am trying to add and remove people on a daily basis and it just isn't practical with 250 users and climbing. I tried to add the AD groups to the local group, but then CE shoots me an error from that group.

How are others handling this?

Thanks!!

--Guyute

Try 1400+ employees, and other organizetions have even more.

We are also using NT authentication. We are importing all employees using a domain group, DOMAIN1\Domain Users. All company employees and contractors with access to our LAN are members of this group. This group is maintained by LAN administration.

We also require that all employees who will use CE be trained. We have prepared an ePortfolio user guide for the way we have implemented CE and a CBT to go along with it. Those taking the CBT take a brief test at the end to ensure that they understand the material at a high level. After they pass the CBT we, CE Administration, are notified and the user is added to any appropriate groups. We perform the updates once per week and it only takes a few minutes.

The first group being "Access - General" which allows the user to view objects and instances that are not otherwise protected. The second is "Schedulers" which grants further rights to schedule reports, export, print, and schedule to destination; we do not allow "Refresh the report's data" for performance reasons. There are other groups which grant access for certain groups of users to specific folders, and occasionally reports. We make a concerted effort to keep our rights grants to groups and folders with very few excursions to users and reports.

The "Everyone" CE group has had all rights removed.

Most of our users schedule the report on demand or on a recurring basis.

Hope this helps.

I just went through a painless AD install, what were the problems you encountered, and did you apply the latest service packs?

-k

I installed AD and applied the SP. Once I did that NT Auth. was disabled. The system would not import the AD groups from our system. Also, it stopped allowing access to reports and I think it was the WCS stopped responding. CE support had no idea what was going on and after 2 days of troubleshooting informed me I needed to reinstall.

Did you just follow the CE AD installation instructions?

--Guyute

Yeah, I didn't have any major problems, perhaps you do need a fresh install, I've been through that as well with other implementations (not AD).

-k

Unfortunately due to time constraints we had to move into production with the NT authentication. Hopefully for the 10 upgrade I can get it in place.

--Guyute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back