Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE 10 Pageserver Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2004
US
We are running CE 10 against Oracle 9i Database and our pageserver stalls 1 to 2 times a day (PAgeServer has lost connection with Cache server). The service never stops - so it is hard to have it auto reset (plus that is only a band aid to the problem). We are fully patched - hot fixed - service packed... still no resolution from BO. It happens at random times no patterns on number of reports type of reports or time of day. DB is healthy. Cache server directory has tons of free space. CE server has plenty of CPU and RAM.???

Hi, are both servers on the same machine?

Any other related messages in the Event or Application logs?
[profile]

How many Page servers?

How many Cache servers?

What is the thread count on each?

Kingfisher [CECP]

I know this is a weird approach but we were struggling with the same problem. Our solution was to KILL and restart the page server (not a good one!)

One day I was fiddling around and found some info that stated the # of threads you have on your cache servers must equal the # you have set as max on your page server.
I went in and UNCHECKED the unlimited, put in a 50 (the paper said that was the max) -- and then went and set up the cache services.

Keep in mind, I have NO clue why it worked, but it did!!
Our page servers and cache loads are all handling beautifully now.

Interesting note - when we were having all of the trouble, we started tracking memory on the pageserver and it was creeping with no release.

Now that its set up this way they are releasing and the numbers are fluctuating depending on real usage.

Go figure.

I WISH I could find that paper, I havent yet but I will look around my office tmw for the hard copy and post the location here.

Hope that helps.

LMC

LMC

Thanks all for your input:
PageServer and CacheServer are on the same system.
We have tried 1 PageServer with 1 CacheServer - we also tried 2 PageServers to 1 CacheServer - no luck (that was a BO suggestion)
Threads match - we have tried ranges from 25 to 75 with no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back