Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD's smells burned after using 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roychoco

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
PH
hi,

i'm not sure if this is really a problem, but after ejecting a cd from my cd rom drive after i used it, the cd-rom feels hot and smells burned, i don't know if the problem is in my cd-rom drive, i'm using a sony cd-rom drive, or if my computer is just too hot, if this is the case, what should i do, or is this thing natural to some cd-rom drives

thanks for all you help

hi,
in the process of "burning" a CD, what happens is there is dye on the CD. The high powered laser melts (burns) the dye making grooves in the dye ( the dashes ). To achieve the cd's dye malleability, it has to heat it up, thus the burning smell. It is perfectly normal. I would bet that your CD burner is over 12x. The faster the write speed, the hotter those CDs get.

hope that helped,
-jared

Wait,
if you are talking about a regular CD-ROM, then the same rules apply, the faster (ex. 56x) the cd-rom spins, the more heat builds up. It isnt the laser causing the heat its the actual motor that spins your CD that is emmiting the heat onto the CD. Again, perfectly normal.

sorry about the mix-up,
-jared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back