Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDs not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbyanu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2001
US
I have a 52X CD-ROM. Though it's recognized by Windows 2000 at system boot-up, and I'm able to eject and insert a CD when I'm in Windows, the OS does not seem to recognize that there's a CD inside.

When I insert a CD the CD-ROM's LED flashes as if reading from the CD-ROM but then suddenly it stops, and the CD-ROM icon in My Computer indicates that there's no CD in the drive.

Could anyone please help me out? Many thanks.

check the cmos setting for the cd rom drive. Try setting the drive settings to Auto . Also check the jumpering on the IDE CD drive master or slave . If master need seperate cable and ide port . If slave it uses other connector on cable already on other ide device . Also if you have upgraded from a different cd rom you can try removing old cd rom device from system - device manager so that windows will detects new drive and install correct drivers .

checked all of above. the intrigue here is that it was working perfectly, then just stopped. same thing happened couple days ago, but miraculously the problem was resolved. now the drive seems to be back in the depression mode again... just upgraded to win2k from '98.

Hi,

I've got the same problem. The only thing I've found is that in my system devicemanagement there is a Plug and Play Bios error of some kind. I don't know what is means...
For the Dutch people on this forum, the error is:

systeemkaart uitbereiding voor PenP Bios

I don't know what is is... please help!!!

I have had a similar problem, booted into safe mode and found multiple cd rom drives in device manager. removed these now able to read okay.
Also on another system their was only the one cd rom in safe mode rebooted into windows and lowered the cd rom speed in the system properties to a lower setting this also resolved the problem. strange that my problems were mainly with creative 52x cd rom drives.
everything now okay and nobody has complained of slow responce of the cd rom drive either.

Have you gone into device manager, erased all CD Rom references and then rebooted and let Winblows rediscover it?

It's kinda of a hack fix, but I've had great success with flaky perriferals in the past. It works great for modems, sound blaster, NICs and I've used it on my CD once.

AidanEnos

I recentaly bought a hp cd-writer 9150i and the computer will not let the cd-rom run to get the correct driver for the cd-rom. In the device maniger it has a yellow ! next to the system. I have tried to disconect and reconect so the system whould think its new but that doesnt work. If anyone has any ieas im open to sugestions.

I am having the same problem with windows ME. Sometimes the CD works fine and other times it doesn't. Sometimes the CD ROM is not even recognized in device manager. Turning the system off for several hours usually helps. Any suggestions?

hi,
i have also a reading problem with my cdrom, I have just installed a lite on burner, and this device works wonderfull, but my cdrom doesnt recognize and doesnt read the cds any more, the burner is now set to master and the cdrom to slave.
Can I use the same solutions stated above??

I have a very simaler problem. I had a 40x's cdrom that worked great for a few years but it started checking for cd's but never finding them. Ihad the computer taken to a shop and i had the drive repalced. this completly solve the prblem for two days but now the problems back. can any help?

ryan

Sometimes, Win2000 doesn't like older drivers. Go to Device Manager, highlight and right click the CD Rom Drive. Go to the Drivers tab and hit "Update Drivers". It may be a simple matter of getting the latest version of your CD Driver to make sure it fits with 2000 properly.

Also, there is a troubleshooting button I believe under the General tab. If not there, check the Driver's tab. It may help you figure out what's wrong when you tell the troubleshooting program what is and what is not wrong.

Hope that helps.
Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back