Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDs not detected 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

garwain

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
CA
I'm working on a clients machine that does not detect CDs. I formatted the machine, and put windows back on a few weeks ago without a problem. A few days later they installed an IDTECH Magnetic Stripe reader that works off a PS2 port, and since then the CD drive hasn't worked properly. I tried removing the deviec, but the CDs are still not detected.

One thing unusual that I've noticed is that sometimes the BIOS will detect the drive, sometimes it wont. Without making any changes, when I reboot the machine, during the POST, sometimes it'll only show the HDD, and a line about configuration changes complete, the next reboot it'll display both drives and the configuration message again.

I've checked in the device manager and changed the options around, and if I turn off the Disconnect option , have Sync data transfer, auto insert and DMA on, the CD will be detected, and will find files, but responds VERY slowly. I had to wait almost a minute for it to display the root folder on a NAV2003 cd.

I tried booting from a standard WIN98 boot disk, and the drive works fine under dos.

The one thing I can think of is that drivers for another CDrom were installed when a different drive was in the macine, but these were DOS driver, and the files and lines in the config files were all deleted

Any ideas on what else to try would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Swap out the cable for the CD-ROM... since it comes and goes in the BIOS, it may have gone bad.

Also check interrupts for that Stripe reader, and make sure it's not conflicting with anything. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

If the win98 startup disk drivers work fine then maybe you could use one of them to run your drive instead. Just start up on the disk and check to see which one is detecting the cd-rom. then copy this to the hdd, and insert it into your CONFIG.SYS file.

It may also be a faulty power supply, cutting in and out. A power surge may have convieniantly occured around the same time as the reader installatioion which could also mean that you might have a faulty cd-rom drive. (Remember, always be aware of the possibility of surges, and be prepaired)
Try using the cd-rom with another machine if possible to see if that soves your problem, but this does not sound like your problem.

Hi garwain:
You might try a selective startup with msconfig...it's obviously something that Windoze is loading that's getting in the way (if it works fine in DOS).
Stripe reader install also may have overwritten another key file that's not righted with uninstall...might try running SFC with the CD handy (when the CD player is working).
You might also try flushing nvram if there's such a choice in the BIOS?

Here is something you might try..(it's worked for me in the past with cd issues)

Disconnect the ide cable from the cd-rom. Boot into safe mode and remove all instances of the cd-rom in the device manager. Power down (don't soft boot). Boot into windows normally. Power down. Reconnect the ide cable to the cd-rom and boot into windows normally.

Give it a try and let me know if it helps.

Dana

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going tomorrow morning to see what I can do with the machine.

garwain,
Also, right-click My Computer and go to Properties. On the Performance tab, does it tell you anything about drives using MS-DOS compatibility? If so, there is a DOS driver being loaded somewhere, or a registry key that's conflicting with your hard disk controller and/or CDROM controller.

This article will give you a start, but I don't want to post a whole lot just yet until I know that's the problem:

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks for your suggestions. Today, the CD-ROM wasn't even responding well under dos, but the BIOS detected it every time. I tried changing the IDE cables, and moving the cd drive around, The system woudn't detect it at all if it was set to be a slave drive, so it looks like the mainboard is the problem. My client is starting to think about replacing the system, or possibly networking the office so that they could share and internet connection, and a cdrom from another machine.

Hardware problems can be so much fun...

Thanks again.

"Today, the CD-ROM wasn't even responding well under dos, but the BIOS detected it every time."
~~~In other words, you could barely browse to it from DOS? (just trying to get a handle on the problem)

Many times CD-ROMS get flaky when they are set as slave... Try putting it on the secondary IDE controller as the master and see if it clears up a bit. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

One time I managed to get a file listing from a cd under dos, I changed to the cd I wanted to use, and got "not ready reading drive D"

This drive was working fine in a a different system a couple weeks ago, and had been sec-slave. In this problem machine, the cd drive oly detects if it's a master. and the HDD will only detect if it's a master (yes I'm changing the jumpers correctly)

I have restored the BIOS settings to their defaults and then went back to the way things were, fixing nothing. There are no updates for the BIOS (it's a crappy old intel board).

Don't you just love it when a client is willing to have you struggle with a $30 item...rather than just replace it?
I'm way impatient in such matters and would have dragged an extra from off my shelves to see if it was just plain faulty...

Have you tried using a lens cleaner kit on the CD-ROM drive? That could be one of the reasons the system is having a difficult time reading CD's. Enkrypted
A+

Looking more and more to me like a problem with the IDE controller on the motherboard...(easy to say now you've worked it out!)

Hello Programmer garwain.

When dealing with hardware problems a systematic approach takes longer than guessing right on the first try but overall usually saves time. After any change I always reboot to see if it holds before making another change. All installations and connections are made with the computer unplugged and you grounded.

Enumerate and identify hardware:
HDD:
- how many, manufacturer and specs, configuration, etc.
CD-ROM:
- ditto
IDE CABLES:
- type (40 wire ATA# standard, 40 wire ATA# CS, 80 wire ATA#)
- length (18" maximum)

Eliminate variables and add back:
1. Remove all CD-ROMs and all but master HDD from Windows Device Manager.
2. Shutdown, unplug and disconnect all CD-ROMs and all but master HDD.
3. Set single HDD as master and connect at end of compatable IDE cable on Primary Controller.
*This jumper configuration is, of course, dependent upon the HDDs specs. There a lot of ifs.

4. Enter CMOS Setup and detect HDD. Write down configuration. Save, Exit.

5. Install second HDD on Primary Controller set to slave. *

6. Enter CMOS Setup and detect HDDs. Write down configuration. Save, Exit.

7. Install CD-ROM set as master and connected at end of cable on Secondary Controller. Here it is preferrable to use a 40 wire ATA standard IDE cable. Some CD-ROMs don't work well with the new 80 wire cables.

8. Enter CMOS Setup and detect HDDs. Write down configuration. Save, Exit.

Only after all devices are recognized correctly by the BIOS can you continue on to driver installation in DOS and/or Windows.

The type and length of the IDE cables is a serious issue as is the physical connection. Always suspect a poor connection or cable first. Disconnect or change, reconnect, reboot, enter CMOS Setup and redetect.
All 80 wire cables support CS (cable select). Not all 40 wire cables do.
A single HDD should be connected at the end of the cable to eliminate noise.
A CD-ROM should not be on the same controller as a HDD because the controller will operate at the slower speed for both.
A CD-RW should be set as master and CD-ROM as slave on same controller.

Good Luck,
small potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back