Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW "Uninstalled" in BIOS but burns fine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

je150

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2003
US
Ok, here comes a long one.

A co-worker has just had a CD-RW from AOPEN installed model CW5323 and it came with Nero Express 5.5.10.56

Heres the problem, since installing this burner, the pc (dell optiplex 270) Win xp pro service pack 1 has been booting to a screen that says drive 2 not installed, strike F1 to continue F2 to run setup. Setup goes into bios and under ide configuration it shows primary master - hard disk, secondary master - cd-rw (uninstalled).

Ive tried the following... any suggestions:
Reinstall nero
Update nero
Update cd-rw firmware (oddly enough, it fails)
reinstall drive (hardware config in system - uninstall - reboot - relocated driver)
switch drive to primary slave and swap ide cables
flashed bios to newest version

Ive seen this before with nero but never to the point that the only part not working is the bios.

The drive burns readable cds just fine, data or music. In fact, the only problem is the bios, and so far i havent been able to find a guide to getting bios to recognize the drive even when windows does and can access it without a hitch. Mostly, the bios is just an annoyance from what i can see on bootup, but it should still recognize the drive.

I wish I had a good answer for you. I had one AOPEN CD drive where you need to remove a jumper from the rear to use DMA modes. Check the manual, as it may be that the Dell will not recognize a drive in PIO mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back