Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDROM.SYS current, but corrupted. How to replace it ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
On an HP Pavilion, running Vista-64, current patches, the DVD drive no longer works. The Device driver says it's corrupted.
But I can't force a rename, or delete it, because it's protected as a System file.
I thought buying a new drive would force a solution, but it still wants to use the same corrupted copy of CDROM.sys
to access the drive. The disk that came with the new drive doesn't have CDROM.sys on it.
Suggestions, please!

I'm 'retired' now, but still System Tech for everything at home!

Fred Wagner
(retired, but still involved!)

That looks like it might work - thank you very much for the link. I'll post the results here later!

Fred Wagner

rclarked250 - The procedure worked! simply deleting the lower limit and rebooting convinced Device Manager that nothing was wrong, and now I can read disks in the drive. Thank you!

Fred Wagner

You are welcome, glad it worked. I had a laptop that this happened on.

I never would have guessed that the solution would be a registry hack ! So glad we have this forum to share wisdom on. thanks again!

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back