Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRom Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcomit

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
GB
I've upgraded from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 and now I'm having problems getting the CD to mount. I load a cd and it ejects shortly afterwards.

Any ideas welcome.

I assume if you load a Solaris8 CD it's OK. If so it could be you have a DVD and not a CD. What system do you have?

It won't load any CDs. We did a live upgrade from Solaris 8 by copying the Sol 10 CDs on to the system. So it would mount them ok on Sol 8 but not on the Sol 10.

Is vold running? If it is kill vold - try manually mounting cd.
I also found this on the Sun Web-site

"installed solaris 10 (11/04) from a CDROM.
and the installation was successful.
but, after reboot machine, can't use the CDROM
anymore. when insert disk into the CDROM, it will be read for 10 or 15 seconds then the disk will be eject automatically.

Apparently there's a problem with
svc:/network/rpc/smserver:default

service could be
disabled by mistake after s10 b72 installation:

... and the solution is to re-enable that service by running the following command as user root:

# svcadm enable smserver

may need a reboot to enable

Sol8 to Sol10 upgrade is badly broken in my experience. The architecture changes result in a number of devices not working correctly without a lot of extra work. On workstations it tends to break the mouse and most vold devices as well. It's correctable, but I honestly do not recall all of the steps, sorry.

Best bet for a Solaris 8/9 to 10 upgrade is a complete overwrite installation. I ran into problems when doing an upgrade on my test box from 9 to 10. When it was a fresh 10 install it was fine.

svcadm enable smserver - this worked without having to reboot - thanks marrow. Thanks to all.

main Differents between solaris 9 and 10 ? pls send me the best answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back