Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDROM Drive Won't Work With Certain Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonofAdam

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
To make a long story concise: my CDROM drive works fine with most discs (music, data, programs); however, two data discs recorded by someone else will not work. The discs have Word and Excel files. Things that happen (or don't) after inserting either of these discs are:
-the drive appears to begin to spin, but cycles up and down repeatedly.
-the green light on the front will flash rapidly and stay that way.
-pressing on the disc eject bar will not eject the disc, drive light continues to flash.
-disc will not eject from the 'My Computer' screen ("Eject this disc" doesn't work).
-trying to read the disc from My Computer screen doesn't work and sometimes locks up the whole machine...
-I have more info, but I am wondering what kinds of 'malformed' discs can tie up the whole drive, and
prevent ejection, etc...the discs themselves do not look odd or different than the ones that work fine..
-CDROM drive passes the normal hardware diagnostics.
-Computer is HP Pavilion 760n
-HP CDWriter cd16e
-Windows XP

I have not tried the discs in another computer, but will do so tomorrow (I need the data!). Any thoughts appreciated; i.e., where to look for help, etc. Thanks.
--
John Hanley
<><><><><><><><>
To send return email:
jphanley
@
ix.
netcom.
com

For reasons I don't understand, I inserted one of the offending discs into my CDROM just to try it again, and it read fine, and I was able to transfer the files to my hard drive...had tried multiple times previously, but now it works...not aware of having done anything to fix the problem...I will be trying the discs in another computer today, will let you know...otherwise, guess I will just see if it happens again in future.
John

Two of us got together and decided to let your system go ahead and read these discs. We had been just playing with you! Sincerely, happy it finally read them. I've seen it happen with &quot;marginally-acceptable&quot; discs. Have a good day, sdlomi2

The offending discs played fine in a separate computer yesterday. So..maybe I have a flaky, but not defunct CDRW in my computer that works unless the discs are also flaky? I am in business for now, will post again if more info.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back