Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayhawk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2004
US
From those of you who have experience running CDP, is it worth running? Does it give you enough benefit for the extra traffic it puts out on the network? Thanks in advance for your input.

In a strictly Cisco environment , the answer is yes . On a large network it is a lifesaver being able to determine what is on the other end and the added traffic is not that much . On user access switches I don't think it needs to be on for every port only use it on links to other networking gear .

I agree with vipergg. CDP can really help save time trouble shooting.

just dont run it on any outside facing routers. The routers infront of the firewall should not run CDP.

thanks for the info... i will turn on cdp for all my devices except for my 2691 that is in front of my firewall and any switch ports that don't directly connect to another cisco device... sound right?

CDP is also useful for IP Telephony... it tells the Cisco phone what VLAN that should operate in.

Status
Not open for further replies.