Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDE - Hangs - I will too...soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igaduma

Technical User
Nov 23, 2001
BE
Hi all,
On a SunOS 5.7 box I try to login as a normal user into CDE. After a while it hangs and displays Openwindows terminal boxes instead of the good 'ol CDE desktop.
Am getting completely desperate in searching WHY it happens since I can use ExceedOnDemand to login on that machine.
Any help very much appriciated!

Iga

I believe, that user's profile has Openwin setting
What happens when you use su ?. Before you login
There is Option bottom, click option bottom and enable CDE .

Farah regal
good luck
"think twice and hit enter once"

Hi,
After you enter the user name password..click on options
->select CDE environment..I hope your problem will solve with this.

Regards
Kalyani.

Hi all,

did all that, didn't solve it,
recopied all initialization files to users directory
(. login scripts) en whatdayaknow, working.

Hi
Is any DHCP configured on ur network.. or if possible - can u brief me on the network setup of urs - probably that can throw some light on ur problem...

let me know if u don wanna share ur setup publicly

Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

have you logged in command mode and checked out /var/adm/messages?

Hi all,

Yes, I checked /var/adm and no signs of anything abnormal,
dead silent about that problem.

DHCP isn't configured on the networ,
it's a sealed of subnet with assigned IP adresses.
Each machine is configured with host entries / ip in the /etc/hosts file and nothing extra.

Igaduma,

Unless the openwin setting have been changed from Solaris 5.6 to 5.7, I believe FRegal is correct. This starting of Openwin is in the profile settings. I'm new to Solaris, but I have tried to log in as root and Openwin tries to start instead of CDE. What I did, because I never want openwin to start at all is to go to the root's .profile and completely comment out the if loop that will start openwin. Simple but it worked. I have never seen this happen to a user account though. For example my user account or the admin account would work fine but root's would not because of the .profile openwin settings.

Igaduma :
yeah, I just had that same problem yesterday..it's really annoying that Openwindows stuff for your login, ain't it?

Do you have a login like 'root' that is working more normal for the CDE?? What I would do is take all the default home directory files for that user like the .profile, Xauthority, etc. and copy those into the same home directory as the 'normal' user you really want to go in as..I believe it's like a total of 4 files you'd need to worry about..anyway, the next time you log in as that user at a minimum you'll get a special pop up window asking what kind of environment you want to log in as..u obviously know what to do at that point

'hang 'em high!! ;)
pondo

Hi all,

Ok, very usefull stuff to check out :)
Just got here and putting on some nice fresh just-bought-fresh-out-of-the-pack-coffee
while reading stats & logs and a solution to the cde problem!

Thanks for the help guys

Aren't friday mornings just purrrfect ?

Iga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back