Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd-rw problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shudrod740

Technical User
Apr 10, 2004
US
I have cd- rw that I installed in my dell optiplex gx1 pent III 450 mhz. I have regular dvd-rom as the secondary master and the cd-rw drive as the secondary slave.

I having trouble writing files to the cd-rw. I try and write the files over and I keeping no disc is in drive error message from the writing files application in the cd-rw appplication in my computer

Assuming this was working fine and now it isnt... could be the drive died- that happens every now and then depending on usage. I get a new one every 18 months or less.
If its a newer drive or you are new to the cd writing software you may want to try Nero burning rom. Trialware is available on their website.
Personally I think Windows burning software stinx.

It could also be a bad CD-RW disk, or one that has been "closed" to new writing. Make sure you use the packet-writing version of the software if you plan on writing to RW media and over-writing it, and specify that you want to re-use the media and not "close" the session and the disk to future writing. What is your burning software?

Tony

Also since this is an older system, perhaps you have an older version of Roxio. The reason I bring this up is because Roxio 5.x and lower is not compatible with Windows XP without an update (in case you upgraded recently). And even if you have an older version of Windows, the older Roxio was notorious for leaving bad keys in the registry (just search on upper and lower filter and you'll see why).

Why don't you provide more information on the software and OS? Also it would help to know if you have the CD-RW (slave) attached to the "middle" connector on the IDE cable.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I've heard that for really critical files that your better off burning to a cd-r. There's a bigger failure rate among cd-rw discs. The problem is with cd-rw there is a file that keeps track of where the other files are located on the disk. If that file becomes corrupted, then the disk is scrap. cd-r's don't have that file. That's the way I heard it. I've pretty much switched over to cd-r's.

i am using the following : nero express 6, and xp home edition. I have checked the bios and the cd-rw drive is detected; second, the cd- rw drive is connected to the second connector on the ide cable for slaves and the jumper is set to the slave selection. I go to my computer and the drive is visible. I have a blank cd-rw disc in the drive and nero is not detecting a disc in the drive when trying to write files to the disc and the same as with windows explorer burn program. What the heck is going on? But suprise guys! I had put in a blank cd-r disk and there were no problems writing to those disc! Why is there a major problem with cd-rw disc?

also guys I was using a memorex cd-rw disc.
4x speed, 700 mb, and 80 min.

this really inconvenient since I can only burn and cannot
write, erase, and re-write.

where do you get the special cd-rw disc without this problem?

cd-r cost around 25 cents apiece- or less.
my advice; forget about rewriting.
cdrw have been a headache every time ive tried using them.

shud,
The name of your burning software and version would be helpful. Also, the version of Windows...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

years ago I bought a 5 pack of Memorex cd-rw. Not one would format. I bought a different brand and had no problems. I have since switched to cd-r's...

Hiya,

I had a similar problem in that I could not write to any media from a DVD/RW drive...

In My computer...right click on your drive and choose properties...

On the recording tab make sure "enable CD recording on this Drive" is checked.

Don't know if this helps or I have misunderstood what your problem is but it is worth checking

All the best...Happy New Year

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back