Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW/DVD & DVD RW Reconfig ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHUDMAN

Programmer
Dec 12, 2000
US
Ok I have a NEW Dual Core processor running Win XP Pro. Came with a DVD/CD re-writeable and a CD Re-writeable/DVD PLayer.
Original CONFIG was E: was DVD RAM and F: was DVD WRITE

New Hard drive came with serial cables instead of IDE Ribbons.

So I had to move data from old hard drives to new hard drive but now Additional IDE parrallel slots available. I disconnected the DVD writer and the CD writer to use the IDE Ribbon to connect the IDE Seatgate drives and move data to new hard drive. DONE works great.

NOW the CD writer and DVD Writer are not IDE master and slave as before. No matter how I reconnect the ribbon cable the drives are recognized in opposite views and thus, they will not write or read.

YEs this new machine was order with both writers because this friends wants to burn MANY CDs and DVDs for friends and family.

Please Help.

Chad L. Miller

LEAN Sigma Business Consultant

Get a working process, reduce variation, predict the future

No matter how I reconnect the ribbon cable the drives are recognized in opposite views and thus, they will not write or read.

Don't quite understand what you mean...

For testing purposes, connect one optical drive to each IDE channel (disconnect IDE drive), with both optical devices set to Master. What happens?

Tony

I did connect one optical drive CD-RW as a master and it was not recognized as the CD-RW rather the DVD-RAM. I could not get it to be recognized as the proper IDE drive in the correct channel. I did this with each of them individually and neither one would be properly configured. I used the Control panel to recognize new hardware. The hardware drive and name was located but the action of writing to CD or DVD respectively would not operate properly.

Unless I need to do something more specific in the bios setup or something else I am unsure. Should I go back to the A+ books and look at the default allocation tables for configuring drives?

Chad L. Miller

LEAN Sigma Business Consultant

Get a working process, reduce variation, predict the future

I used the Control panel to recognize new hardware

CHUDMAN,

It should not be that complicated. These are plug-and-play devices. Start with a single drive on a single cable. Go to Device Manager, right-click the drive,and uninstall it. Reboot and let Windows detect it.

Remember XP does not have DVD playing or writing software built-in, you will need an app like Nero for that. You should be able to write to and read from a CD on one drive or the other.

There is a minute possibility the bezels of your drives were swapped, but that should not matter anyway.

Best of luck

Tony

OK just so we're clear, you have a DVD-RW (rewritable that can also burn CD's) and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo (plays DVD's and burns CD's), right?

If so, you should pay little attention to the "name" of the drive that Windows reports in explorer. It will change depending on the type of media you have inserted and is of little importance. If you really want to double-check that the right drive is assigned to the right drive letter, you can check for the manufacturer's label on each one (Samsung, Lite-On, NEC, etc) making sure it matches up with the position on the IDE cable. The drive connected at the end of the IDE cable should be set as MASTER and the one in the middle should be set to SLAVE. Although it's possible to reverse them, it's not recommended.

...the drives are recognized in opposite views...

Maybe so, but why would that affect their "reading" capabilities? I'm still confused about what you mean.

When you reply, let us know what burning software you're using and what the make/model is of each optical drive.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back