Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 17, 2002
US
Hello,

I am trying to burn songs from my cassette tapes to a CD and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this?

Thanks

The simple answer is that you need to get a Y-audio cable that has 2 RCA jacks on one end, and a headphone-type connector on the other. You should be able to find one at most electronic stores like RadioShack.

With the Y-audio cable, you can connect your tape deck output to your PC's sound card "line in". Then all you have to do is adjust the volume settings so that line in is not muted, and use recording software to store the input as a WAV file. Windows "Sound Recorder" should be able to handle that, although there are plenty of free and shareware apps all over the internet. Just make sure you set the software to record in 16-bit 44.1KHz Stereo to get high quality.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

[navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hello,

That is great advice but I couldn't find the inline jack on the back of my computer. I did buy at 1/8 Y-audio jack with two RCA connections and one headphone jack. Could you tell me where to look?

Thanks

Do you see where your speakers plug in? It should be next to 2 other identical jacks. This is where your sound card or device is located. Usually the jacks are labeled MIC, Line In, and Line Out. However, some cards use symbols instead:

(( --))> would indicate Line Out for your speakers
(( <))-- would indicate Line In which is what you're looking for

The third symbol is an obvious picture of a microphone. Hope that helps...

~cdogg
[tab]&quot;All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind&quot;
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back