Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD/RW Drive Locks Up PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

allodds1

MIS
Feb 20, 2004
US
I have a Win98se,Athlon 900 MHz PC, 256 MB RAM. I can play music CDs without a problem, but when ever I insert a data CD, for example, Win98, AOL, MSN or any software or hardware driver CD, my PC locks up, and I must power off the machine! This happens with every 'data' CD disk I insert. Can anyone help?

Well, at this point I would look into any conflicts with CD software (burning software especially). I recently had a problem with my CD RW shutting the comp down when a blank CD-R was inserted...only difference here is that my burner could read data CD's no problem. Just search the thread about "computer shuts down when inserting blank cd r" or something to that effect. I uninstalled Nero, and things are back to normal. Let me know how things go.

CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back