Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW D: IS NOT ACCESIBLE!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMPO

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
US
I am having all problem with my cd-rw do not want to copy in any cd-r or cd-rw tell me that a supported media is not incerted but I am using the same media that I was using before and the system write on it. Also when I put I write cd with some files or documents when I try to open it the system tell me that the D: is not accesible or the device is not ready. I already install and uninstall the program but keep on telling the same story. Any ideas.

Turn off any unneccessary programs before attempting to burn. Disable most of the startup group using msconfig first. Run a surface scandisk and defrag beforehand as well as a disk cleanup. Then boot to safe mode and remove all cd devices including possible ghost drivers. Reboot to windows and check device manager for correct installation. There still remains issue of setting the drive to DMA or not, as well as the need for the correct ASPI drivers- I would suggest a good read at CDROM-GUIDE.COM regarding the last two things mentioned. However this could easily be either a bad ide cable, or -hate to say it - a bad cdr/cdrw.

I had the same problem just recently. It was Easy CD Creator that was causing it. Have you recently upgraded to Windows XP or a other OS ? If so then you need new drivers for this program.

I too had the same issue as Kocky with the Roxio 5.1- and was able to use Nero just fine. It will drive you nuts!

I have a similer problem with my DVD drive that came with my dell. First it locked(said device locked when I checked it's properties) and would unlock. I've contacted dell severaltimes(via e-mail) and have gotten no responce. I was told onetime from someone in a chat room to:
shut of the comp.
and unplug the DVD-CDRW drive.
Boot computer.
shut down normally
plug drive back in.
Boot.

That seemed to work for about an hour, I watched a dvd to make sure it was working and the damn thing messed up again. it crashed the program running the dvd and ever since then the drive has been un-usable. I tried going through the process again but it didn't work. I can't get a damn thing out of dell I guess they don't check their e-mail( acttually I did recieve 1 message from dell it was a servey asking how well the support was-ha!!)

Geez Drac...is your Dell under warranty? If so you need to escalate to a higher level of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back