Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW Complains that there is no disc in the drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2002
GB
I run a medium sized network (70 clients) and have recently upgraded to W2K servers running XP Pro clients. My problem is that post upgrade some of my clients CD Burners are stating that there is no CD in the Drive when I try and burn CDs. The drives will read CDs but refuse to recognise blank CDs once inserted. Windows recognises the CD drives as Re-Writers and will run the bundled burning wizard but the wizard will not continue beyond the [Please insert media in to drive x:]. I know that the burning software included with XP is a cut down roxio and that nero is a superior piece of software but it works on some machines and not on others. I even have one machine which has been upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and the burner still stopped working after upgrade. If any one has any Ideas on this one It could just save my pink bits

The network is PC based with a mix of form factors i.e. emachine, acer Toshiba(laptop)etc. They are just new CDs. Any CDs with Data on them the drive will explore as normal, it just won't recognise a new disk in its drive

Have you tried a different brand of CD. Also make sure the CD read and write speed specifications match the CD burner's read and write speeds.

I have seen a few reports of low speed CD's fracturing and "exploding" when run in high speed CD burners. I have also read of problems caused by different coloured coatings used on CD's.

boyc
I have a BENQ CD writer drive Labelled Seamless link 40x12x48 run on an Advent machine with xp. A CD with data already on it(Philips CD-R80 48x) runs fine.
After writing to a CD (Philips CD-RW80 1-4x) the CD drive nor the DVD will recognise that there is a CD in the slot (but it did before it was written to).
When I put into the CD drive a CD (Maxell CD-RW74 1-2&4x) the drive will keep the green light on but will not manually reject. (have to go into Media player to eject by selecting eject E drive)
I didn't realize that the CD has to be compatible speedwise to the drive (thought it would assume the lowest speed) any other ideas before I buy a box of 48x CD's?

Have tried different types of CD but still has same effect. Yesterday I upgraded my home computer from W2K to XP Pro and the same thing has happened there The burner was working fine with nero and IN CD packet writing software. now however IN CD won't read a CD that has stuff burnt on to it. It just opens the [files for burning to CD]window with no files in it, while my DVD/CD drive above it will read the CD and shows all files burnt to it. At work it happens on different types of burner i.e phillips, emachine. I need this fixed ASAP and am getting to that horrible point of having to pay mr gates for business support. Please help stop me from supporting a tyranical dictator.

rafman,

The method used by the native XP CD file writing system is not UDF compliant, and that is the method used by IN CD. For a discussion of the differences, an explanation of your specific problem (you should have uninstalled all 3rd party CD software before upgrading to XP), and a possible fix, please see:
The second problem discussion of drives "disappearing" applies directly to your situation, and the registry change given their should solve the issue of the drives disappearing.

Mixing IN CD or other UDF packet format software and expecting XP's native CD support to read the disks is not solvable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back