Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-Rom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJR

ISP
Apr 22, 2000
US
I have a 2x CD-Rom and wanted to purchase some software that listed as a requirement a 4x CD-Rom. I asked a clerk if this would present any problems with the installation and he told me that it would probably present too many conflicts and the hardware would not install it! Anyway, I thought I could go ahead and install it, but it would just go more slowly due to the lack of the 4x CD-Rom. Any thoughts on who "is right?"

Hmm, I'm not sure the clerk has grasped the plot! The most common reason software specifies a minimum speed cdrom, is because it will need to read from the drive whilst the program is running. The speed of the drive governs how much data can be loaded per second. Mostly it is games and multimedia that require this, if it is just for installation then it will just take a little longer to install.

I agree with paulwood 100%. If its for games then you might want to get a faster CDROM. But just installing a program will do fine, and as paulwood stated just take more time. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Thanks for the info....I am off to purchase the software!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back