Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD ROM problems. Half Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoth

MIS
Jan 10, 2001
US
Hi. I recently had to go buy a new CD ROM and installed it with no problems. Ever since I got it though certain CDs don't work on it one day, but the next day magically work fine. Software problem maybe? I know I should have returned it, but the store I got it from is nuts so I figured I'd work with it. I just recently got a 3 CD game. The first cd works perfectly, but the second and third don't work at all. ITs not the CDs since they work on my other PC, but they simply don't show up and it sounds like the ROM is having trouble spinning it. So should I blow out my whole drive or just buy another CD ROM? I really wanna play that game!

Thoth
thoth33@go.com

May sound obvious, but sometimes a wiggle with the power and data cables at the back of the CD player works wonders. Failing that, try re-installing the driver from the original disks.

HTH,
Alan

Provided that you've checked cable connections & drivers.

Provided that you've check the directory of the CDs that fail. Pick a few random files and copy them to your drive then delete them if they came through ok.

Provided that you've checked performance on a good CD (one that the system reads ok) {Start >Programs >Accessories >System Tools >System Information Select Components Tab and expand it. Select CD-ROM and it will run a performance test. ... Change the CD to one that usually fails and see if there is a problem that way}.

One solution stands out as a cure for many random CD read problems often overlooked by many due to its obvious nature: Clean the CD drive with a good CD lens cleaner (one with a cleaning solution I find better).

cwpaul

Conrad W. Paul
cwpaul@syd.eastlink.ca
Creative Solutions to Challenging Problems

My first guess is these CD's are Burned. I get this alot with old Cd-roms. They spin-up, then stop, spin-up then stop and sometimes you can get it to list the directory. This relates to the dye in the cd and it phase. The laser basicly has trouble picking up the info off the cd.

If they are CD's from a software company the ones that look like silver on the bottom. Then the above statment does not apply and your cd-rom prob has a bad bearing which makes the cd's wobble excesivly, which makes the CD-rom spin-down.

I would recommend you get rid of that cd-rom in any case.
Good luck,
CSX Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back