Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM player secrets/tricks to read Printer Installation CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

posterperson

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
CA
I bought a Brother printer and the software Installation CD can't be read by the CD Player! I think the problem is the player though, not the CD, as a notice says it is "not ready" and "the device is not accessible". The Device Manager says it is working properly but when I go to the drive's Properties it shows it as completely full with no free space, even with no CD in the drive (or WITH a CD in the drive!) If I select "Drive Information" it says "the directory name is invalid". Sometimes I'll put another CD in and it works just fine. Arghhh!! I have a printer that won't print due to a lack of software. Can anybody help please??!! (Meanwhile, Brother is sending me another CD, just in case it IS the CD)

You have gone out and spent the money on a new printer. Try going out and getting a new Cd-rom. They are fairly cheap, and this would solve all your problems.

mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Wait a minute, you've tried other CDs and they work, and this is the only CD that doesn't work? Why do you think there's something wrong with the CD-ROM drive?!
BTW, the CD-ROM drive properties ALWAYS shows the pie-chart graph as full, regardless of if a CD is loaded or not, because there is no "free" space available on a read-only drive. Otherwise it wouldn't be read-only, would it? If a CD is in the drive, the properties should display how much data is on the CD, but no "free" space will be available, hence the pie chart will be completely "full".

Also, I'm just guessing here, but Brother probably has a website, and on their site they may have a place you can download drivers. Don't wait for a CD to come, see if the drivers are available online and you won't have to worry about the CD-ROM at all!

Hi Posterperson, I have had a timing problem in the past that prevented me reading drivers off a CDrom. My solution was to make a directory on the hard drive, copy the cd into the directory and then install from the directory.
regards Michael

Thanks Speccie:
How do I make a directory on the hard drive?

Double click 'my computer' double click C drive (or D if you have one). click on 'File' click on 'New' click on 'Folder', a new folder will appear, type in a name for it, e.g. 'Printer name' and then open the folder by double clicking and copy the cd contents into it. You should then be able to do your install from your new folder.

regards Michael...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back