Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD ROM opening during boot process

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoahMonty

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2006
US
Hello all. Hope i have the right forum. Anyway, I have an old Compaq laptop that I am fixing up for my Fiance for her to use for school. It's a Compaq Evo N1015v, with Windows XP Home, 256MB of RAM (Soon to be upgraded to 768),and an AMD Athlon processor (1.52GHz).

So, almost the second you push the power button, right when my option comes up to enter BIOS, the CD ROM tray pops open. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, so it's more of an annoyance really, but I'd really like to get it fixed for her. Any suggestions where to start?

weird..any external usb devices plugged in? if so, reboot with them unplugged....
Try BIOS, firmware for the 1015.
And wow, the 1015 is an old clunker for sure, where did you find ram for it?

haha... I oddly enough haven't tried even poking around in the BIOS, but to answer your question, no, no external usb plugged in.

I suppose I'll try that firmware you suggested... And yes, it is old.. lol... there's a website: where you can find RAM for anything. IT's a cool site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back