Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom not playing Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowerhand

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
IE
My CD Rom drive will not play music at all, I have checked the cables and the device manager and there is no obvious error on either. I can access data on ant CD I try so it appears to be "sound specific" . Any Ideas , folks ?

Can you plug a headset into the jack on the front of the CD drive and get music from an audio CD?

There are two cables needed for the CD-ROM. First the IDE cable. It seems that is connected correctly if you see the cd-rom in device manager. The second is a much smaller sound cable. This should run from the cd-rom to the sound card. If both of these are connected correctly make sure to check the volume control in Windows and make sure the CD audio is not muted.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

You said you "checked the cables", but are you referring to both the IDE cable and the "audio" cable that goes from your cdrom drive to the sound card? You have to have the audio cable to hear music cd's.
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back