Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM from 52x to 12x

Status
Not open for further replies.

alehawk

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
AR
Hi!
I got a problem.
I got 2 CDroms, one cdr, of 52x. When I read or wirte a cd the resources from 60% free to 0% free.
I tested the cdrom drives with nero utilities and in normal mode it will retun a speed of 18x and in safe mode 10 or less x speed.
Whats happening?
Tnx!

This thread touches on a bit of your problem.

CD drive 52x. What is meant by 52x here?
thread779-996043

Yes its ok, but time ago, the same drives one showed 40x speed and the other 36, suddenly both drives are slower and they are eating resources! taskmanager and explorer exe consume too much resources when I use them!

I don't specifically know of any programs that would target a CD writing software, but if you're having resource issues I'd suggest running a virus check, followed by doing a full spyware scan with Spybot and Microsoft's agent.

I scanned for viruses and the system is clean...
Only tskmngr.exe and explorer.exe will consume every resource on my systen when I read or write cds... strange!

Check to see if the IDE controller is set to DMA mode. On current CDROM drive PIO mode will give these symptom. If you can't find a place to set the mode (Advanced Settings tab on my system) you'll need different drivers.

I changed it to DMA if available... I'll see what happens.
Tnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back